Easy Prep - Warm Winter Oatmeal
Anything to make life easier is my friend.
Oatmeal is one of the easiest meals to prep ahead of time.
Sure, you could buy the packets and microwave it, but it definitely saves to buy this item in bulk, and really takes very little extra time.
I love to make a big pot on a Sunday morning and then easily heat up a serving on a chilly Winter weekday. :)
Steel Cut Oats are lower glycemic (takes longer for the body to digest the carbohydrates and causes a lower and slower rise in blood sugar) than Old-Fashioned Oats, but can sometimes be a little harsher for people in texture and digestion. I like to mix a combination of half and half Steel Cut and Old Fashioned for a smoother texture with some heartier bits.
I cook them about 20-30 minutes until the texture is right for me - you can use your judgment, as this can be a matter of personal preference.
You can play with a variety of topping options - changing the flavor from day to day!
- vanilla, almond, or some other natural extract
- spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, etc...
- fresh fruits like apples, berries, bananas, etc...
- dried fruits like cherries, apricots, prunes, etc...
- nuts like walnuts, almond, or pecans
- seeds like hemp, flax, or chia
- natural sweeteners like maple syrup, honey, agave, monk fruit, or stevia
What do you like to add?